By Dr. Erin Cheatum and Dr. Victoria Nguyen
It’s that time of the year again: cold and flu season! Fall, Winter and even early Spring tend to be the times when most people get sick. The common cold and flu are caused by viruses, therefore antibiotics are very unlikely to be helpful in these cases. What’s more, the flu this season is particularly bad! There are many supportive treatments to help with the symptoms of a cold – runny nose, cough, congestion and sore throat. The flu tends to produce similar symptoms but may also include a fever, headache, and/or body aches.
Here are some simple ways to help ease these symptoms:
- Adequate hydration is important when fighting a flu, especially if a fever is present. It is important to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Rest. It is important to allow your body to rest so that more energy can be devoted to the immune system to fight the virus.
- Super-Immunotone is a product here at AIM that has vitamins, mushrooms, minerals, and herbs that helps boost overall immune function and works great to help fight off cold and flu!
- Try an Anti-viral IV here at AIM! It is a boost of vitamins, minerals and hydration to get you feeling better.
- Zinc has been proven in studies to reduce the length and severity of a cold. Most effective within 24 hours of experiencing symptoms.
- Vitamin C has also been shown in studies to reduce the length of a cold, especially if taken on a regular basis.
- Echinacea has been shown to enhance the immune system and shown to decrease symptoms when taken at onset of a cold and can lead to a faster resolution of a cold.
The best treatment is prevention. Some of the easiest ways to prevent catching the cold or flu is by washing your hands frequently, cleaning objects that you use/share, avoid touching your face, avoiding direct contact with people you know are sick, and staying home when you feel sick. Another way to help prevent getting the flu is to come in for a B12/B complex shot, with a side of a homeopathic, oscillococcinum. The B12/B complex can help support your immune system, while the oscillococcinum is a more generalized treatment for the most common symptoms of the cold and flu. When combined the therapy can help you stay well.
If you start to feel flu symptoms, please schedule an appointment to come in to get tested for the flu within 24-48 hours, as this is within the timeframe that antiviral medications are effective. Even if it has been beyond 48 hours, we can still offer treatments to help you feel better!