by Erin Alberda, LAc
In the spirit of David Letterman’s retirement, we thought this was fitting! Here are the top 5 reasons to get Acupuncture at Alpine Integrated Medicine:
- Digestive Issues/Food Allergies. While acupuncture will not fix food allergies, IBS, chrohns or colitis, acupuncture is extremely beneficial in treating some of the sequelae: nausea, sluggish digestion, constipation, poor appetite…especially while the “root” cause is addressed through Naturopathic means – allergy testing, lifestyle and diet guidance.
- Pain. This is probably the obvious choice, but the mechanism in which acupuncture addresses pain is pretty cool – it not only addresses the physical/somatic symptoms, but also can impact the way the brain perceives pain via the limbic system. So, acupuncture becomes a very good choice for those patients who are still experiencing pain, even if they have been adjusted, medicated, stretched, and other physical causes have been ruled out or treated.
- Stress. Another somewhat obvious choice, but stress is such a huge contributor to chronic health issues, that acupuncture can be a powerful adjunctive treatment for conditions when you suspect that stress is an obstacle to improvement. I have personally seen pretty cool results in patients with diabetes and high blood pressure as a result of adding acupuncture to their overall care plan.
- Skin Conditions. A less obvious choice – but chinese medicine has some techniques and tools that can be very helpful for addressing acne, rashes, psoriasis or eczema. I have some topical herbs in my arsenal that I love to use as well.
- Because it’s awesome. No really, it is! Many folks do have a bit of a needle phobia, as they do not know that acupuncture needles really bear little to no resemblance to hypodermic needles. The sensation is not the same as getting a shot, there is often no sensation at all when the needle is introduced.
If you need one more reason, how about a $20 Acupuncture Happy Hour on June 18th at AIM from 4-6PM. RSVP’s are appreciated or you can sign up on the FB event!
I’d love to hear from you all too…what are your favorite reasons to get Acupuncture?