Did you know that insomnia is one of the primary reasons people make an appointment to see their doctor? Here are ten tips on getting a better night’s sleep from Drs. Brooke and Mohammad.
- Develop a sleep routine and stick to it. This means going to bed at the same time each night.
- Journal random thoughts before you go to bed in order to stop the mind from racing all night long.
- Sleep in total darkness. This includes turning your cell phone over if you keep it on the nightstand.
- Reserve your bed for sleep and sex only!
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. (For more on sleep and exercise, read Kindra’s blog post here: https://alpineintegratedmedicineblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/go-hard-or-go-to-sleep/)
- Limit fluids 2 hours before bed.
- Eat a high protein snack before bed.
- Decrease overall stress.
- Stop using electronics 30 min before bed. This includes your laptop, cell phone, and television set.
- Ask your doctor about the right time to take medications in order to make sure they do not interfere with sleep.
For additional information on insomnia check out Dr. Brooke’s article from our August newsletter, also available here: https://alpineintegratedmedicineblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/insomnia-in-a-nutshell/.